The Bear Attacks That Changed America Quiz Answers, What Is Blue October 2012, Hot Tub Height, Lion Brand Pound Of Love Ravelry, Example Of Postcard About Holiday, Level Ball Catch Rate, How To Prepare For Prince2 Practitioner Exam, Paleo On The Go Coupon, Borage Flower Symbolism, Scales That Work With Fitbit, Rosemary Leaves In Hausa, Samsung Ne63t8511ss Manual, Hot Chocolate Powder In Pakistan, " /> The Bear Attacks That Changed America Quiz Answers, What Is Blue October 2012, Hot Tub Height, Lion Brand Pound Of Love Ravelry, Example Of Postcard About Holiday, Level Ball Catch Rate, How To Prepare For Prince2 Practitioner Exam, Paleo On The Go Coupon, Borage Flower Symbolism, Scales That Work With Fitbit, Rosemary Leaves In Hausa, Samsung Ne63t8511ss Manual, Hot Chocolate Powder In Pakistan, " />

why did so many buildings survive the christchurch earthquake 2011

Government’s food and fibre reset report lacks a core, Quantitative easing floods capital markets, The ongoing search for new markets – India and beyond, Rugby’s role in a greater South Pacific strategic reset, A1 milk predisposes to asthma and lung inflammation, COVID-19 scenarios are becoming increasingly evident, COVID-19 is a science of uncertainty and an art of probability, North-East Asian markets as alternatives to China. Earlier today I was out at Lincoln Uni, only 20 km from the city centre, and there the damage is minimal. "An earthquake is a sudden release of The soil is considered susceptible to liquefaction and have a very low resistance to liquefaction. Some places that escaped liquefaction last time have received it this time, and vice versa. Either way, there are questions to be answered as to why the failure was so catastrophic. Monday’s COVID-19 decision will be a defining moment for New Zealand, Contact-tracing will be the Achilles heel of the COVID-19 program at LEVEL 3. The story behind the failure of the 26 (some reports say 27) level Grand Chancellor Hotel, constructed in 1995, will take some time to emerge. One of the key messages from the September quake seemed to be that as long as a building was away from the streams, rivers, or low-lying land with a high water table, then it could withstand the shock as long as it was of modern construction. Several aftershocks were reported, some registering at a 5.6 magnitude. This building looks heavy but with light structural support in the corners. Some buildings will be written off and torn down, while others will be repairable or declared safe for immediate occupation. Impacts of Christchurch Earthquake In total, the 'rehabilitation' costs $15.1 billion dollars worth of damage, Many businesses needed to fire employees due to the heavy re-building fee. If you have an earthquake that has a 90% chance of not being exceeded in 50 years, the authorities might say that's an acceptable risk, we can live with that. Commentary on agriculture, rural development, and wider issues. Why and how did China markets become so important for New Zealand? There is a somewhat historical  (probably about 1999) but generally informative assessment of the liquefaction risks in Christchurch at http://ecan.govt.nz/publications/General/solid-facts-christchurch-liquefaction.pdf  However, I think that if they were to write this document again it would say some things differently. New Zealand is apart of the Pacific Ring of Fire. "It's clear that the New Zealanders rather underestimated the shaking that Christchurch could sustain," said Roger Musson, a seismologist at the British Geological Survey. Our Queensland house was built on a hill-top and had a special cyclone rating, but I doubt very much whether it would have withstood the shaking that our New Zealand house has withstood. Meagan Jones On 22 February 2011, a 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck Christchurch shortly before 12:50pm at a shallow depth of four kilometres. The Christchurch Central Recovery Plan, often referred to as the Blueprint, is the plan developed by the Fifth National Government of New Zealand for the recovery of the Christchurch Central City from a series of earthquakes, in particular the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake.. This core is still visible in the ‘after’ photo. That means it pre-dated the first earthquake design requirements of the 1965 code. Why did so many buildings survive the earthquake? This is the building where most of the deaths occurred, perhaps as many as a hundred or even more, including most of the foreign deaths at the Kings Language School. "When shaken, these sediments transform into a liquid, causing irregular settlement of the ground, which is extremely damaging to buildings and buried structures, like water lines.". Most of the houses have timber framing and this has stood up well. Civil defence declared a category 3 emergency, … What we do know for sure is that thousands of homes cannot be brought back to being livable. It is of the liquefaction on Kilmore St, and am planning to use it as the background. These are just three of many photos taken by Asher, who jumped on his bike and took some amazing photos around the city in the immediate aftermath. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. It was built nearly ten years after the 1976 regulations [see update above] which  introduced the principles of  ‘controlled failure’ and may also have been subject to the 1984 regulations. A lot will depend on whether the concrete pads have shifted, cracked, and tilted. It seems that we do indeed have very stringent building codes in New Zealand. Old houses and commercial buildings constructed in the early 20th century, or in some cases in the 19th century, and which relied on single or double brick for their structural integrity, disintegrated rapidly. Also, both  in September 2010 and again in February 2011, there has been some liquefaction in areas previously identified as low risk. Earthquake resistance can and is, in many cases, built into the design of the building. I have also looked with wonder at the simplicity of house construction in Uruguay, where earthquakes are essentially unknown. Hi, with regard to the Grand Chancellor building it should never have been built. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Kind regards As for the brick chimneys on the older wooden houses, well they descended ungracefully to the ground. It was originally a carpark building. Houses with modern timber structural framing  also stood up particularly well. So there are many potential ways to create safer buildings that will ride out an earthquake and remain fit for use – and Geoff says many of these will be visible in new buildings around Christchurch, especially those on Cambridge Unfortunately, a house with a concrete pad that has cracked and split is history. ( Log Out /  Maurice Lamontagne, a seismologist at the Geological Survey of Canada, said: "What surprised me most was not seeing the damage to masonry buildings like the cathedral's bell-tower but to see new concrete buildings crumbling down. "You can't protect against everything, because it's simply too expensive. As per Meagan above, I’m also requesting permission to use the same photo, to appear in NZ Rodder magazine. This provides a reminder that the Christchurch earthquake really was a local event: short, sharp and vicious. Because noticeable earthquakes are rare in most areas, people may not recognize that the objects and buildings around them represent potential hazards. Pingback: YEAR 5 SCIENCE PROJECT-FINAL | YEAR 5 SCIENCE PROJECT. It was turned down by a number of building companies because of the dubious nature of the project. Projects like this are rare but do happen especially if someone is determined to get their way. I was totally wrong, the found floor held up while everything above collapsed onto it! A M w 6.2 (M L 6.3) earthquake occurred in Christchurch on Tuesday 22 February 2011 at 12:51 p.m. local time (23:51 UTC, 21 February). An a… Maybe the wonder is that more modern buildings have not collapsed, and perhaps we should give due credit for that. Unfortunately, the Arts Centre, which was built from 1877 onwards, suffered some Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. I would credit both you and your website. The critical issue with this earthquake was that the epicentre was at shallow depth under Christchurch, so many people were within 10 to 20 kilometres (6 to 12 miles) of the fault rupture. The liquefaction on these soils is much greater than  in September, and initial reports are of up to 150,000 tonnes of sand and silt needing to be removed, compared to about 30,000 tonnes last September. Why buildings are managed for earthquake risk Experience from Christchurch and overseas has shown that the failure of earthquake-prone buildings, or parts, can endanger lives. With the February earthquake there now seem many more lessons to learn. The earthquake occurred on New Zealand’s South Island, 10km west of Christchurch, at 12.51pm on 22nd February 2011 and lasted just 10 seconds. The September quake had occurred in the early hours of the morning with family generally close at hand. At least over my side of town (Halswell),  I saw evidence in the 7.1 September earthquake of a powerful wave. Pingback: Rebuilding Christchurch | PHSGeogBlog. Of the 185 victims, 115 people died in the Canterbury Television building alone, while another 18 died in the collapse of PGC House, and eight were killed when masonry fell on Red Bus number 702 in Colombo Street. However, on the western hills, where I live, the form of cladding seems relevant. The Grand Chancellor hotel was originally constructed in the mid 1980s as an office tower. 185 people from more than 20 countries died in the earthquake. Why Was New Zealand's Latest Earthquake So Deadly? Most of these buildings had no damage or only a little. Ha, fatty. The collapse of the cathedral is less surprising. Christchurch 22nd Feburary Earthquake New Zealand is prone to earthquakes because its situated between two major plates. The New Zealand defence forces have been called in to help move people out of the central business district.Fires were reported at the Canterbury Television (CTV) … It was the middle of a working day and many people were at school or work, having lunch or running errands. As each day goes by, the task of rebuilding Christchurch city and suburbs seems to grow. ", He added: "Experts have been surprised that the town itself has been hit.". This was the second major earthquake to hit the city; the previous quake occurred on 4 September 2010 and registered at a 7.1 magnitude. The earthquake damage to modern buildings in Christchurch caught many experts by surprise and suggests the city was more prone to destructive tremors than … The messages from the 7.1 ‘dress rehearsal’  earthquake on September 2010 seemed reasonably straightforward. 0 1 2 … Because the ground loses its rigidity, buildings can be shaken far more violently. In my Uni office, and in sharp contrast to the September earthquake, there is not one paper or book that has moved. So one has to ask the question, how could the tsunami have killed so many people in a country that was supposed to be the most tsunami-aware nation on Earth? Architects and engineers sometimes do get it wrong, the ugly towers at Ferrymead are testiment to that, no matter how clever people think they are some projects should just not be done regardless of reputation and influence. The earthquake epicentre was near Lyttelton, just 10 The original building codes go back to 1935, but earthquake design really only started in 1965. Large buildings and structures such as bridges, in particular, must be designed so that vibrations arising from earthquakes are damped and not amplified. The conventional view on liquefaction seems to be that the damage is caused by subsidence of the buildings into the soil, but I don’t think it has to be this way. Where the shaking or ground movement was severe, then houses on piles seemed to fare  somewhat better than those on concrete pads. Hi there, I was wondering if I could use your picture for a poster I am presenting at the NZ Society of Earthquake Engineers conference. It seems to me that we still have much to learn about liquefaction. On Tuesday 22 February 2011 at 12.51 p.m. Christchurch was badly damaged by a magnitude 6.3 earthquake, which killed 185 people and injured several thousand.

The Bear Attacks That Changed America Quiz Answers, What Is Blue October 2012, Hot Tub Height, Lion Brand Pound Of Love Ravelry, Example Of Postcard About Holiday, Level Ball Catch Rate, How To Prepare For Prince2 Practitioner Exam, Paleo On The Go Coupon, Borage Flower Symbolism, Scales That Work With Fitbit, Rosemary Leaves In Hausa, Samsung Ne63t8511ss Manual, Hot Chocolate Powder In Pakistan,

Our Hotel Partners

Partners

Are you looking for a Hen Activity only Event? Click below for more

Ireland's Biggest Provider of Stag, Hen and Corporate Event Activities